How Long Does Strep Throat Last without Antibiotics
Guest Post by Jeff
Strep throat is an infectious disease. It is caused by Streptococcus pyogenes or Group A Streptococcus. And the question “How long does strep throat last without antibiotics?” is difficult to answer because it is caused by common viruses, and does not always require treatment. However, curing of strep throat is necessary because if it is not cared for, it may lead severe complications.
What is Strep Throat?
Strep throat is an infectious disease. It is caused by Streptococcus pyogenes or Group A Streptococcus and is common in people 5-15 years old. Strep throat produces the following symptoms:
- The flu lasts about 2 to 5 days
- Fever (severe on day 2)
- A sore throat
- Abdominal pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Swollen lymphatic nodes
Symptoms of strep throat begin to appear after exposure to the virus for 2 to 5 days. If you suspect you have strep throat, you should see a doctor. Your doctor will take a sample from your throat with a swab and suggest a treatment based on the severity of your symptoms.
How Long Does Strep Throat Last Without Antibiotics?
According to information from WebMD, you will overcome strep throat symptoms within three to seven days, whether you use medicines or not. However, if you do not treat it, you can infect others for up to three weeks. And you are at risk of dangerous complications.
If you use antibiotics, you will no longer be infected after one day of treatment, even if the symptoms persist. Treatment of strep throat by using medicines will help reduce the risk of developing severe complications.
With some cases of bacterial strep throat (about 20%), especially Streptococcus, group A, you need antibiotics.
If Your Doctor Recommends Antibiotics
If the results are not harmful, the doctor will recommend the treatment for strep throat, including antibiotics.
Start taking the antibiotics as recommended by your doctor. The medication traditionally prescribed are Amoxicillin or Penicillin. However, if you have an allergy to certain antibiotics, your doctor should prescribe other antibiotics such as Keflex or Zithromax.
Note when taking antibiotics:
- You must finish the full round of antibiotics, even if you look and feel better.
- You must drink plenty of water as dehydration can increase the risk of strep throat recurrence and severe infections.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking antibiotics as this can cause complications.
- You should take the antibiotics as directed by your doctor.
- You mus know how to recognise the allergic reactions to medicines, such as swollen mouth rash and difficulty swallowing or breathing.
How to Reduce the Symptoms of Strep Throat Without Antibiotics
- Gargle salt water twice a day. It helps relieve sore throat symptoms. You mix about a spoon of salt in a warm water glass. Use this water to rinse your mouth about half hour. Remove saline after gargle. This is a way to reduce the symptoms of strep throat without antibiotics
- You should drink a lot of water. Water will soothe the throat. Lemon juice or honey-blended tea can get rid of sore throat.
- Use a humidifier. This can help you you breathe easier. Without a humidifier, you can create moisture by boiling water and placing the pot in the room for steam. In this way, strep throat will not last without antibiotics.
- Use of throat lozenges or throat. It can help reduce a sore throat. Throat lozenges or sprays that contain local anesthetic or antiseptic work well to relieve symptoms.
- Testing strep throat is an important step because bacteria can travel to other parts of the body. It will cause cardiovascular disease, septicemia, and kidney disease.
I hope you have found this article useful and that it has answered some of your questions about strep throat. If you are suffering from strep throat, you should call a doctor and use antibiotics. Proper medication and care should see you feeling better within 24 hours or so. If not, see a doctor.